[RP] The escape key and "synthetic"

From: Daniel Webb
Subject: [RP] The escape key and "synthetic"
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:17:28 -0600

I am running ratpoison on a local machine, but one of the windows is a vnc
client to another ratpoison.  So normally I choose a different escape key for
each ratpoison and everything is fine.  Just now I ended up with both using
C-t as the escape key, and the local ratpoison worked fine but remote
ratpoison (in the vnc terminal) ignored the C-t t, and also ignored :meta.

The vnc server in question has AllowSendKeyEvents set true.  I noticed in the
man page:

meta [key] (C-t t)
              Send  the escape key (that which normally is C-t) to the current
window.  If a key is specified, this is sent instead. Note that some
applications by default ignore the synthetic key that is sent using this
command  as it is considered a security hole. xterm is one such application.

Is ratpoison another such application?  I could change the local escape key,
but then had to restart the vnc client before  it worked again.  So I wasn't
totally locked out by this, but I would like to be able to use two ratpoisons
nested with the same escape key without having to go to that much trouble when
the escape keys overlap.