[RP] Graphics efficiency in ratpoison

From: Marcin Kłapkowski
Subject: [RP] Graphics efficiency in ratpoison
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:04:05 +0200

Hi,

I had problems with youtube movies when I was using ratpoison. Hangs on a while by while. Thats why I wondered what happens. I tested ratpoison and fluxbox for comparison. Used glxgears. Fresh started manager without apps, only some key binding. glgears started in xterm. Without modding or changing configuration fo fluxbox or ratpoison.
Discovered that ratpoison is 10 times slower.

Results:

Ratpoison without workspaces:

68 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.504 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.328 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.329 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.328 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.321 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.331 FPS
67 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.329 FPS

Ratpoison with workspaces

42 frames in 5.1 seconds =  8.254 FPS
53 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.584 FPS
53 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.533 FPS
53 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10.552 FPS

Workspaces made by:
   exec rpws init -k
   exec rpws init 6 -k

And, for comparison, fluxbox:

485 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.833 FPS
516 frames in 5.0 seconds = 103.186 FPS
516 frames in 5.0 seconds = 103.136 FPS
516 frames in 5.0 seconds = 103.091 FPS
516 frames in 5.0 seconds = 103.071 FPS

I'm not chating.
What's going on. How can I improve graphics efficiency in ratpoison.
Is this because I compiled from git, not from debian repository?
Did I missed something?

Thanks
Marcin