Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about moving filesystems.

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about moving filesystems.
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:10:33 -0800

> I'm currently moving a filesystem to a larger set of disks. This old
> filesystem is backed up with rdiff-backup, and I would like the new
> one to continue that. It will be mounted and visible as the same
> path on the client system,
>
> How will rdiff-backup react to the move. Will it see a whole new set
> of files ? Should I use the --no-compare-inode option, and if so is
> that only on the first run ?
>
> It's about 40GB of data so I don't want to back it up from scratch
> and lose my revision history for this filesystem on the backup
> server.

What you're suggesting may work (--no-compare-inode just for the first
time).  But it's probably unnecessary, as rdiff-backup only records
inodes when a file has multiple hardlinks.  So you should be able to
run from the new disk without any special options, and most files
won't be marked as changed.

--
Ben Escoto