Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Full backups from / downwards

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Full backups from / downwards
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:39:00 -0600

> I want to back my entire server up to a remote site. On the remote
> site I dont want to use a user with any special privileges. Whilst I
> obviously need to have enough privs on the machine to be backed up
> to be able to read all files, do the user privs on the remote
> machine actually matter? I suppose what I'm asking is are the
> ownership/perms details stored as metadata with the actual backups
> being stored (and owned by) the backup user, or are these details
> reflected in the backup files themselves (using standard
> ownership/perms).

The ownership/permissions are stored in a metadata file, so it's
unnecessary for the backup files themselves to have matching
ownership/perms.

However, rdiff-backup will do its best to give those backup files the
same attributes.  For instance, if you run as root on the destination
system, the uid/gid of the backup files will match the source system.

--
Ben Escoto