Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ListError on Solaris "door" files

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ListError on Solaris "door" files
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:31 -0600

> Would it be a good idea to handle these without displaying an error
> (i.e. putting in some code to handle ListErrors)?

Well there is code to handle ListErrors (e.g. the code that writes
"ListError" on your screen ;-P).  This behavior is intentional, and
more documentation on the different kinds of errors and what they mean
is at http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/error_policy.html

> In my context, I'm planning to use rdiff-backup in cron, to do
> regular backups of, say, /etc, and I'd like to *not* have to parse
> the response to mask out false positive problems.

I see your problem, but I'm not sure how rdiff-backup could
distinguish these errors from its point of view.  The reason it flags
a ListError is because it sees a file with a type it doesn't
recognize, and thus can't back this file up.  In your case, you don't
need these files backed up, and could just exclude them.  However,
maybe someone else needs them backed up, and these ListError messages
would be informative to them.

--
Ben Escoto