Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] The rdiff-backup poll!
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 03:07:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ben,

I actually consider this a feature.  Since rdiff-backup only makes one
pass, it saves time making an extra pass through the directory tree.
Also, it doesn't need to fit the entire directory list in memory at
the same time (this is a common complaint against rsync).  Finally, it
doesn't need to worry about the various ways that the first pass can
differ from the second pass if the directory is changed.

You could have your program make a preliminary pass just to count the
number of files in the source directory, but I don't think
rdiff-backup needs to do this as a matter of course.

I'd probably do that then, as long as I can handle rdiff-backup's exclude lists and get the same results as it does. I don't need to hold the whole file list in memory, just the total file and byte counts.

Cheers, Chris.
--