Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup completes without errors, but then

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup completes without errors, but then have a corrupt archive...
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:59:29 -0400

On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:36 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Are the exit codes the same, and available to cygwin event though
it's a windows binary? (I do see the output is the same unix style
output (with a unix vs dos line return).

The exit codes should be the same, but, truthfully, the state of rdiff-
backup's exit codes are not very good. I don't think they're
documented anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There's even a
bug open in Ubuntu #128244 which basically amounts to "rdiff-backup
has unhelpful error codes".

That said, I would be more than happy to implement useful error codes.
I just don't know what would be useful to system administrators. :-)

In that bug,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/128244
 , I proposed:
0 = no error occurred
1 = unrecoverrable error
2 = another rdiff-backup instance running
3 = recoverrable error (link down, interrupted, etc.)

but no one responded whether those would be good or not, so nothing
became of it...

These seem like great exit codes.
I'm not sure if no 3 covers file errors like files being busy etc...
I'd guess that even if it did, I'd like a code that is "basically
everything went smoothly, but some files were locked, or otherwise
unavailable."

Yes, I completely mangled the words "recoverable" and "unrecoverable" as used by: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/error_policy.html

what I meant was:

1 = errors which will require sysadmin intervention: eg, CRC failure, "assert index out of order", file not found, directory unreadable, etc. (ie, unrecoverable by a script)

3 = errors which should go away on the next run of the script (assuming the link comes back up, etc.) ... I suppose 2 = another backup instance running is a special case of these...

Clearly, I should find new terms to describe those classes of errors, since they are all "unrecoverable" as used by that document. I feel that all "recoverable errors" as used by that document should be error code 0, since rdiff-backup has handled them. If you care about whether they occurred or not, then that is what the logging is for.

I don't want *exit codes* to become a terse version of the extensive error reporting which rdiff-backup already does. I think exit codes should indicate why rdiff-backup exited abnormally.

Andrew