Re: Re[4]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Alex Samad
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:01:41 +1100

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:12:16PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:44 PM, address@hidden wrote:

[snip]

> In my scenario the repository is synced to an external USB drive
> that gets rotated each day (i.e. each day I put yesterday's drive in
> storage and bring a different drive out of storage to use for the
> next backup). I use rsync to transfer my rdiff-backup repository
> (which gets updated daily) to the USB drive. Then I run rdiff-backup
> --verify-at-time to verify that the files on the USB drive are not
> corrupt. But lately this has been taking too long.

wouldn't the fact that you are reading lots of information from the usb
drive be slowing you down, why not run your --verify-at-time on the
local disk repo. and then when using rsync from local to usb us the -c
option to let rsync do a checksum on the files, but yuo are still going
to run into the slowness of USB drives

> Does that make sense?

[snip]