Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?

From: Alex Samad
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:49:02 +1100

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 07:39:05PM -0700, Steven Willoughby wrote:
> On 12/23/2009 05:55 PM, Engel Sanchez wrote:
> >Hi Alex. My understanding could be wrong, but this is the scenario that I'm
> >trying to avoid:
> >
> >1) Machine 1 has the original data and backs it up locally to /backup
> >2) Machine 2 rsyncs /backup to local /backup every day
> >3) Machine 2 is rsyncing /backup, and right then machine 1 dies for good
> >(fire, flood, apocalypse)
> >
> >At that point in time, machine 1 is dead and /backup in machine 2 is not a
> >valid rdiff-backup directory, so you can't restore your data from it
> >anymore.  If Machine 2 was instead using rdiff-backup on the original
> >sources, /backup would have an incomplete backup, but previous data would
> >not be lost, so you can restore from it even if it was interrupted.
>
> Use rsync's --delay-updates.  That will narrow the window of failure
> significantly.
>
> If that's not enough, create a temporary hard-linked copy of /backup
> on machine 2:
>
> set -e
>
> cp -al /backup /backup.new
> rsync -a --del machine1:/backup/ /backup.new/
> mv /backup /backup.old
> mv /backup.new /backup
> rm -r /backup.old

before using rdiff-backup I used to use rolling rsync directories with
the --link-dest option and renaming directories T T-1 T-2.  The same
principle could be used here as well.

Or just changing the schedule of my original operation.

1) rdiff-backup to local lan different machine
2) rsync from local lan different machine to remote site.

My choice for local machine is purely for speed.
one of my backup sets is a VirtualBox directory ~80G

Alex