jami

Re: [Ring] redaction feature

From: Julian Foad
Subject: Re: [Ring] redaction feature
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 10:19:36 +0000

bill-auger wrote:
some very good points from Julian and Adonay - i would just like again
to underline that those are points that are very reasonable for fully
published public documents - but in the context of an instant messenger
such as ring this is not the case - your messages will be seen once and
only once usually by one single person and then never to be seen again

Aha! Different use cases. In my world, I use chat systems primarily for discussing designs with a group of developers, many reading the messages and a few writing them. We also find it useful to have the discussion archived so we can refer each other back to some useful discussion that took place before, maybe while I wasn't present, or maybe I can't remember all the good ideas that were said.

That is my shade of grey between "fully published documents" and "seen once, then it's gone".

Maybe that's not going to be a use case that Ring will ever want to address. That's OK, it doesn't have to try to be all things to all people.

- Julian