rule-list

[Rule-list] Successful slinky install on 486 with no CD

From: hairylarry
Subject: [Rule-list] Successful slinky install on 486 with no CD
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:22:12 -0600

Hi,

After I read Devon's scripts I saw the error of my ways. I did this
procedure on two different machines, PC 14 and my 486. It worked
both times.

As described in my previous email I have a hard drive attached at hdb
that has the disk1.iso on an ext2 file system. I will test this with a
dos file system later today.

i booted slinky and ran it normally until it asked if I wanted laptop
support. Then I hit Ctrl-C and ran through the moutn procedure
exactly as described before.

I edited base_install.sh changing the rpm path and removing only the
mount cd query and the mount cd code. Then I ran base_install.sh.

When it finished I changed directory to /oldroot and did the pivot_root
and chroot manually as shown at the bottom of setup.sh. This
started with initial_reboot.sh and gave me a clean install.

Except hdb not unmunted. Easy to fix. I removed my hdb line from
/etc/fstab and shut down again. Removed the hd at hdb and
restarted. Everything seemed to be fine. Just like the install from the
CD.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry