rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Font server, and tips to reduce RAM needs

From: Martin Stricker
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Font server, and tips to reduce RAM needs
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:30:51 +0100

Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:

> If you just wanted a basic X up and running you just left all the rest
> out.  Not sure how small you can get Slack8 but I know for a fact that
> 7.1 would give you a running install with minimal X at about 110megs.
>
> Dunno how helpful this would be...but just one for the book of maybe
> useless facts....;-))

This is quite helpful! Think of Marco's proposed RULE software database:
Imagine a user with a really small harddisk trying to get all the things
she/he *really* needs squeezed on the disk. Then tips on how to save
space/RAM/whatever without breaking anything are *invaluable*!
Optimizing for RAM *and* disk space will be tough to implement into the
database application - soulds like an interesting challenge. ;-)

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/