rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] TinyX and RULE

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] TinyX and RULE
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 05:20:38 +0000

It's not KDE or Gnome, but it's fairly functional. It has the added bonus
that the window manager is up and running in under 10 seconds.
Both KDE and Gnome (Using the stock X server) took several minutes to
load.

You might like to look at the Fast Light Window Manager, a more helpful version of the ultra-minimal wm2. It's on Sourceforge. I'm running it on a 486/75 with 40M here and it's quick.

http://flwm.sourceforge.net/

I'm also trying to get the Opera 6 browser working (as a smaller, lighter alternative to Mozilla and faster and more functional than Netscape 4) but it just segfaults on me.

http://www.opera.com/

I plan to put the Rox desktop on top of flwm. It should make it an attractive and friendly environment that still runs acceptably on a 486. However, for now I am defeated by multiple dependency problems. (I'm on SuSE 6.4, the only distribution I've found which will install from SCSI CD onto my Thinkpad 701C "Butterfly".)

http://rox.sourceforge.net/

--
Liam Proven • Homepage: http://welcome.to/liamsweb
Tel: +44(0)20-8685-0498 • Mobile: +44(0)7939-087884