rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] vacuum example

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] vacuum example
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:12:31 +0100

Eugene,

1) please proceed, report here, and keep notes so making a "vacuum
page" on the website will be easier

Random  observations/suggestions:

2) If I understand it correctly, vacuum wil be optimum as a way to
re-gain disk space *after* a standard package, or set of package, has
been installed, right? For example, install Emacs and Ghostscript (31
and, respectively, 29 MB on RH 8.0) then eliminate fonts that will
never be used, emacs games, emacs mode for unwanted programming
languages, emacs mayan and moon calendars (yes they are there...)
right?

This is  excellent, but please evaluate if it is possible to make this
approach compatible (using same config files and lists?) with the case
when simply there is not enough disk space to install all and trim
after: in that case, we decided some months ago, the installer should
have available one vacuum-like script for each package so that:

        rpm -Uvh foo # install foo, bloat and all
        vacuum foo   # remove foo bloat
        rpm -Uvh bar # install bar, bloat and all
        vacuum bar   # remove bar bloat

3) rpm can install packages without documentation (--nodocs option or
something like that): if used like above, the vacuum scripts must not
crash if run after rpm --nodocs, ie when their targets are not there

4) another way to save space is remove uninstalled languages:
   on an english only system I still get:

        rpm -ql gkrellm
        /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo
        /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gkrellm.mo

Many, many packages do this...

5) one way to avoid using --nodeps when removing whole packages is to
generate the correct order with DAn (patching it,
www.rule-project.org/en/sw/dan.php) or similar tools

        Back to the database problem now. Have fun with vacuum, and
let us know. Thanks!

        Marco Fioretti