[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Patch²: Maintaining a patch for a debian p

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Patch²: Maintaining a patch for a debian package
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:10:34 +0200

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:03:08PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:32:48AM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > I got an issue though, but I think it is related to glibc itself:
> > after installing the built source packages, aptitude/apt-get
> > absolutely want to upgrade them with the binary versions:
> :: The following packages will be upgraded:
> ::   libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev libc6-prof
>
> > Is this normal?
>
> It is if you've not updated the changelog to be a new version, as
> apt-get will prioritise remote versions of a package over currently
> installed versions, if the metadata differs (as it will when you
> rebuild a package locally)

That's annonying: I'm trying to have the package automatically
updated. apt-src can take care of auto-applying the local changes
during a package upgrade. However it won't be able to automatically
upgrade the version in changelog (and if it did, it would probably
conflict with the next security upgrade version).

Is there a way to automatically update a locally modified package, or
can't we avoid a manual processing?

Thanks,