Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Spam on a fresh mailing list

From: Karl Berry
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:29:04 -0500

I don't understand why you guys are surprised by this.

I am not surprised that any list at http://lists.gnu.org is found
quickly.  It's no particular problem to harvest a mailman lists page,
and I have seen a depressing number of occurrences of mailman-specific
list hacks.  (Spammers autosubscribing to the list and then sending out
spam.  Thankfully still pretty rare, but frightening.)

Anyway, the address appears on the main mailman list pages, e.g.,
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/stalkerfs-bug.

I can't imagine what the httpd logs would show.  We aren't going to stop
them.

My answer is to put address@hidden in as a moderator, ensure
admin_immed_notify=yes and generic_nonmember_action=hold, and forget
about it.

Best,
Karl