Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] any need for a perl monger?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] any need for a perl monger?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:59:09 +0200

Hi Karl,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 07:25:45PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I was just up on and it said to email if interested in
>     volunteering Perl skills for the cause.  What can I do to help out? I've
>     been using Perl for over a decade at work and at play.
> I don't know how to answer this volunteer, so I hope someone else will.
> But it brings up something I was going to write about it.  Here is what
> the entry for savannah (the very top item) says now:
>   are looking for technical volunteers to help handle pending project
>   submissions, improve older PHP code, work on the Perl backend, and
>   help with various anti-spam systems. If you can help with any of
>   these items, please email us
>   at <a href="mailto:address@hidden";>&lt;address@hidden&gt;</a>. Improving
>   Savannah will make development easier for the nearly 3,000 free
>   software projects hosted there.</li>
> (Which explains why random php and perl hackers write in.)

Yes, we weren't contacted about it (before or after this was posted or
updated).  Coordination, coordination... :)

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but "pending project submissions" seems far
> more critical to me than the other issues, and we don't give any useful
> guidelines for who can help with that or what is involved.  I suggest we
> clearly separate that out and discuss it in more detail.

There's a start here:

> We could do the same for the other ways to help, e.g., link to pages on
> the wiki.
> If it sounds ok, I'll try to write some text along those lines.

The main issue is that there aren't moderators out there _ready_ for
the task, they need some careful teaching, and hopefully they won't
leave out of annoyment when you're done teaching (like the previous

RMS suggested that we use (C/PHP) and/or 'licensecheck'
(Perl,, possibly
adding changes, and design a tool to help submitters check the
licenses more quickly.

Well, I first suggested we did less/no tarballs checks (it's usually
fast to check the description and decide on the project status) but
apparently that's not an option.

I'm currently thinking we need a tool similar to lintian or rpmlint,
but meant for Savannah (possibly Savannah exclusively), that we would
use _and_ ask the users to use.  We would say "your project must be
analysed by the tool w/o errors" (although there can be warnings), and
this would make clearer what the hard requirements are.  Now we need
to know whether writing such a tool is feasible.

Steve's Perl skills would come in handy here. This would probably be a
longer-term improvement than temporary helping in approving projects.