Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:26:05 +0000

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:05:44PM -0500, Free Software Foundation wrote:
> > I also think it should be fixed, but to make sure we agree, this is how I
> > think it should work for a GNU project (let's call it foo) and a non-gnu
> > project (let's say bar):
> >
> >    homepages:
> >    www.gnu.org/software/foo   www.freesoftware.fsf.org/bar
> >
> >    project pages:
> >    savannah.gnu.org/projects/foo  www.freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bar
>
> I actually think the  freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bar is better than
> having the www on the second one.
>
> Note that also the other URLs must *not* work.  That way there is never
> confusion.

I agree. As matter of fact, now I realize that www.freesoftware.fsf.org and
freesoftware.fsf.org are already set up correctly to point to gnudist and
savannah. That means that http://freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/project_name
actually works (I was wrongly trying
www.freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/project_name which of course doesn't work).

But there are a few remaining problems:

 1- even if I point the browser to freesoftware.fsf.org, the real name of the
 server will be shown (savannah.gnu.org), because no "virtual host" has been
 set up for freesoftware.fsf.org in Savannah. I can fix that inmediately by
 editing apache-ssl's httpd.conf, unless somebody has any objection.

 2- Something such as freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bash and
 savannah.gnu.org/projects/non_gnu will also work, which
 should not. The only way I can see to fix this is by moving gnu and non-gnu
 to different directories in Savannah; this is a more delicate task, but I'm
 afraid we'll have to do it sometime.

 3- All scripts in Savannah should be reviewed to make sure that
 savannah.gnu.org is not written explicitly, but through a variable such as
 "host_name" that will give different values when the server is accessed as
 savannah or as freesoftware.

> Finally, note that we want to have a public naming contest to pick a
> better name than "freesoftware".

That's a good idea, but it should be launched quickly before the number of
projects gets too big and the public gets too used to freesoftware.fsf.org

Cheers,
Jaime