Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] jason want to be a GNU package
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:05:44 -0500

Jaime E. Villate <address@hidden> wrote:

> >         Currently, on the offical savannah site, we are only permitting
> >         programs that are officially GNU software.  (We are beginning to
> >         add functionality this so that any GPL-compatible software can be
> >         hosted, but that is not completely done yet.)

> It is a very accurate description. But my objection was not the
> description itself, but the fact that it doesn't apply to this case;
> "jason" is a project that has been approved as a non-gnu project. His
> author asked that his project be evaluated for the GNU project, and
> that's why you got the message that started this thread. I think your
> answer will confuse the author of jason, because he was not asking that
> his project be hosted in the official savannah site.

Understood---I will change the text I use in those cases accordingly.

> However, the "project page" can only be accessed through
>  savannah.gnu.org/projects/project_name and not through
> www.freesoftware.fsf.org

Eventually, it'd be good to get freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/project_name
to be the only project page that works for such projects, and have
savannah.gnu.org/projects/project_name not work in those cases.

> I also think it should be fixed, but to make sure we agree, this is how I
> think it should work for a GNU project (let's call it foo) and a non-gnu
> project (let's say bar):
>
>    homepages:
>    www.gnu.org/software/foo   www.freesoftware.fsf.org/bar
>
>    project pages:
>    savannah.gnu.org/projects/foo  www.freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bar

I actually think the  freesoftware.fsf.org/projects/bar is better than
having the www on the second one.

Note that also the other URLs must *not* work.  That way there is never
confusion.

Finally, note that we want to have a public naming contest to pick a
better name than "freesoftware".

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942