[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of BG Light

From: joseph
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of BG Light
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 13:22:13 -0500

Joseph Heled <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: BG Light
System name: bglight

BG light will provide a Backgammon (http://www.back-gammon.com) player for the
emerging field of mobile units (PDA\'s) running a *nix Oeprating system (Linux
or other).

Existing free BG programs (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnubg) are a bit of a
hog and will not run on limitied resourses.
As far as I know, there are several proprietary BG products for (say) the palm,
but not even *one* free alternative.

While it might seem that games are of secondary nature, I belive that they can
increase the attractivness of a mobile unit, and so for GNU/Free software to
compete in this arena it needs it\'s share of games.

It does not exist yet in full. The core is ready (which is the hard part), and
a demo client using tcl/tk exists as well, so that in the (unlikly) case of a
mobile unix supporting tk it is done. What needs to be done is to write the
user interface for as many PDA\'s as possible. I am hoping to attract others to
help me with that.

I have placed a temporary snapshot of the existing code in
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/bglight . Note that documentation is
almost non existent. I am working on that right now.

I am part of the GNUBG team.