[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of WinGNU

From: brandon6684
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of WinGNU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:47:56 -0500

Brandon Sharitt <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: WinGNU
System name: wingnu

My project isn\'t exactly part of the GNU project itself, but it will ulimatly
aim to become the GNU implementation of windows. I basically want to do for
Windows, what the GNU project has done for UNIX. The first part will be to more
or less gather the current free software for Windows and put it in a singular
library. The reason I need a service like this, is that after finding some the
avalible software, I will need a way to maintain unmaintianed projects, modify
some of the existing ones, redirect some missguided ones to better fit with the
WinGNU operating system, and it will also be used to start new projects that
aren\'t avalible yet to buildsome of the pieces. Some examples are, for the
kernel, the ReactOS kernel would be good, the site would privode a way for
people to find it and help out there. Also, If an e-mail client was found and
it was abandoned, or it was slighly different from what I needed, I would put
it on this project and, the WinGNU developers would improve it. And lastly for
pieces I can\'t find like the GUI or non-Mozilla web browser, I would set up a
new project for that area. In the end when a good amount of free stable
software exists, they would then be assembled into a complete, cohesive, free
operating system. While  this project would likely provide a little competion
for the actual GNU operating system, that\'s not its goal, it is geared toward
more of a desktop OS. I don\'t think the Windows arcitecture, not even NT, is
logical as a server at all, we\'ll reserve that for a UNIX type OS, but on the
other hand, I think it\'s perfect for the desktop. The project isn\'t actually
posted on the internet yet, except to a couple mailing list the idea has been
thrown around, but it isn\'t a web page yet.