Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: Strangeness in quail-input-st

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: Strangeness in quail-input-string-to-events]
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:46:57 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:
 > Please work with Dave Love to make sure that Dave's access to the
 > Emacs repository continues to function.
 >
 > I understand that you want to clean up the mechanisms used in Savannah
 > functions, but the first priority is to make sure it keeps working for
 > all the developers.  If you can't work out a way he can use the new
 > repository, then please keep the old one working for as long as he needs it.
 >
 > Ok?

        Yes. We would never obsolete an access method on our
own. William Perry told us to obsolete the /cvs repository for the w3
and url packages and we did it. It turned out to be a problem for Dave
Love and we provided him all the help we could to fix the
situation. We also proposed that he talks to William Perry if he
wanted to the old repository (/cvs) back as it was before.

        It turns out that Dave Love is not happy with the way it went but
it seems to me that it comes from a miscommunication within the w3 and url
developers teams rather than the change itself.

        Anyway, specificaly because of these troubles, we decided not
to obsolete an access method when the project leader tells us it is ok
but when no developers are using it anymore. That is the main reason
for reminding developers (at most once a day) that they should switch
to /cvsroot/project instead of /cvs. We also keep track of people still
using it (around 15 in the past 15 days).

        We hope it is a way of migrating to the new repository that will
generate no troubles at all.

        Cheers,