[Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:29:50 -0700 (MST)

    Experience shows that many people will not ask before assuming
    something even if it is wrong and it is quite easy to jump to the
    (mistaken) conclusion that something hosted under

               freesoftware.fsf.org

    would be an official FSF project.

Experience shows that the magnitude of problem this causes us
is small--insignificant compared with the benefits of getting
the credit for hosting these projects.  So there is no reason
to change the TLD.

    I think we should not encourage people to address all those bad
    feelings to the FSF.

"All those bad feelings" does not fit our actual experience, which is
that bad feelings of this kind are quite rare.  This is a small
problem, not a big one.  It is not worth a lot of fuss and not worth
paying any significant price.

     Why not make it

        http://www.hosted-by.fsf.org ?

"www." is unnecessary and inconvenient.  If everyone is happy with