[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Simulation of chaordi

From: pdfernhout
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Simulation of chaordic systems
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:01:55 -0500

Paul D. Fernhout <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Simulation of chaordic systems
System name: simchaordsys

\"Simulation of chaordic systems\" project

This project is mainly to develop simulations of chaordic organizations,
processes, and systems under the GPL license, with \"chaordic\" used as defined
by Dee Hock at http://www.chaordic.org and in his book \"Birth of the Chaordic
Age\". The focus will be specially on computer simulations to support part of
the goal defined here
  http://www.chaordic.org/who_hist.html#FourCond
of: \"Development of visual and physical models of chaordic organizations so
that people have something to examine, experiment with, and compare to existing
organizations. The models must contain the ethical and spiritual dimensions
generally lacking in current models. In addition, computer simulations will
need to be created to allow people to quickly see how clarity of purpose and
principles allow institutions to self-organize, evolve over decades, and link
in new patterns for an enduring constructive society.\"

One can in some ways view the GPL itself as defining a constitution for a
chaordic process of software development.

Other organizational forms such as hierarchies, meshworks, or mixes of them may
also be simulated in part to compare and contrast them with chaordic forms. See
for example Manuel de Landa\'s discussion of \"Meshwork vs. Hierarchy\" in
organizations in his book \"One Thousand Years of Nonlinear History\". Online,
see an example of his writing on  this at:
  http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm

Another motivation is my own thinking on \"many senses of self\" -- that is,
one individual may belong in many overlapping organizations (person, family,
church, company, club, state, ecology, world) and may have to decide how to
allocate their efforts across all these potentially conflicting demands. I
think these issues could play an important role in illuminating chaordic
decision making in a simulation.

An example of a previous simulation I helped develop and released under the GPL
is: http://www.gardenwithinsight.com
Some of the general architectural concepts may be reused from there, although
probably little code since that codebase is in Delphi, and this codebase will
most likely be mainly in Python.

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.