[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Puffin MUD Client

From: tom
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Puffin MUD Client
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 17:39:15 -0400

Tom Jakubowski <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Puffin MUD Client
System name: puffin

Puffin is a sciptable (TCL? Perl? Guile?) MUD client geared towards
LPmuds. It is currently in the very early stages of development (I had a
sort of working model earlier, but rm\'d it by accident. grr), meaning,
there is very little code done. :>

Puffin is based on the principle that the more easily customisable, the
more flexible, and therefore the better. All of the low level functions
(the framework for the UI, sockets, and the embedding of the scripting
language itself) are handled at the compiled, C side. The rest (how both
input from the user and the MUD is processed/displayed, aliases,
triggers, colour support, etc.) is done via the script. This has three
advantages:

- The user need not recompile for most changes.
- The user need not know a complex language like C to customise his
client; all he needs to know is a simple (yet powerful) scripting
language.
- The ability to get many features from other people, easily. If the
majority of features were implemented on the compiled side, the user
could not easily implement a friend\'s customisation (they\'d have to use
cvs or apply a patch, which is sort of iffy). Using this system, the
user could just add the script to Puffin\'s list, and poof! It works
(assuming the script is written correctly)

Other Software Required:
- The Ncurses package.
- The language(s) used for scripting need to be installed.

Other Comments:
The tarball that\'s available was what I was able to hack together in the spare
time I\'ve had since the request for resubmission. There *was* more, but as I
said, it\'s gone now.

http://crystae.homeip.net/~tom/puffin-0.0.tar.gz