[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU shell account?

From: nferrier
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU shell account?
Date: 15 Oct 2002 10:39:18 +0100

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Lancaster writes:
>  > NF> I haven't added alex to the cvs-hackers mailing list. It's
>  > NF> probably a good idea, though we don't use it that much anymore
>  > NF> it's still a useful address (gord, jbailey, etc... are there I
>  > NF> think).
>
>       It is still used and useful, yes.
>
>  > I just successfully logged in to subversions.gnu.org.  Thanks for
>  > this.  All seems fine so far, I'll let you know if anything seems
>  > amiss.
>
>       We (Savannah & subversions maintainers) have a policy of
> granting shell accounts to people who help maintain the Savannah &
> subversions machine. I (Savannah & subversion maintainer ;-) have a
> personal policy of getting to know each person who has a shell account
> on Savannah and remember for which reason it is so. So that, at any
> given time, I can browse the /etc/passwd file and spot someone who has
> a shell account for no specific purpose.
>
>       Of course there may be exceptions. We would very much
> appreciate if you could give us a hand in maintaining Savannah &
> subversions. There are many ways to do that, the first of which is to
> browse the mailing lists (full of requests) the bug report and support
> request web pages (full of bugs and requests ;-) and fix whatever you
> can. Would you be willing to help us in this way ?

Of course, you're absolutely right Loic. You know that I try to help
out when I can (I've been quiet lately because I've been busy with
fee earning work).

One of the things that perhaps doesn't reach your radar is that the
java projects largely get on and fix their own problems, partly
because I have a shell account on subversions. We don't often need to
bother the savnnah admins. We are beginning to think about more CVS
integration between projects and Alex is part of that effort.

You're email has prompted me to note down some thoughts I've been
having about my own role, here they are.

I find it difficult to track some savannah issues. I'd be happy to do
more CVS maintenance because I can do most CVS things quickly and
easily. I'd be happy to answer more user questions about CVS because I
can do that quickly and easily as well.

I know that CVS is one of Alex's area of expertise. Maybe we could
find a way of getting more of the CVS problems to us? Is there some
tracking tool where a CVS category could be setup?

I've heard rumours that you're talking about using PostgreSQL. I've
got quite a lot of pgsql experience and I'd be happy to give you some
admin help (again, because I can do it quickly).

Another thing I might be able to help with is where native english
speaking is required for drafting important messages. I've seen you
critised a few times for this (unjustly imho). I'd be happy to draft
stuff for you when you need it in prosaic english.

And one day, I'm going to get to grips with the PHP stuff  /8->

Alex, I strongly suggest you get as involved in the savannah-hackers
mailing list for a time. It's a good way to get to know the other
admins on savannah (including Loic).

Nic