[Savannah-hackers] Questions about the rules for Savannah projects

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Questions about the rules for Savannah projects
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 13:20:23 -0500

I'd like to use Savannah to host the development of a project that I've been developing privately for some time. I'll be releasing it under a combination of the GNU GPL and the GNU LGPL (GPL for tools, LGPL for runtime libraries).

I'm writing to you, rather than just going through the usual "Register new project" process, because the project in its current state has some dependencies on non-free software. One of the first things I want to do after releasing it is to remove these dependencies, but I'd like to set up the development on Savannah first, if possible, while I work on removing them.

The dependencies should not take long to remove - they are as follows:

- The project is written in Java but has not been tested on any Free java environment. The Classpath, gcj and Kaffe projects all provide all the APIs that I actually use: eliminating this dependency should be just a matter of doing some thorough testing and fixing any incompatibilities that turn up.

- The project can (optionally) generate C# output files; these haven't been tested on any Free C# implementation. Similarly to the situation with Java, this should be just a matter of testing on Mono or DotGNU and fixing any incompatibilities. The C# output is optional anyway.

- The project's purpose is for database access, but the only databases currently supported are proprietary (Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server). Adding support for Free databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL should be essentially trivial for someone who knows the ins and outs of these databases. That's one of the reasons I'd like to be on Savannah - while I can research a Free database myself and add the support eventually, it would be much quicker and easier for somebody who already knows those databases well. And the services Savannah provides would make it much easier to collaborate with any such person (public mailing lists, public CVS repository, etc).

I am a strong believer in Free Software and I don't like having dependencies on non-free stuff at all - the non-free DB dependencies were forced on me due to external circumstances and the non-free language dependencies were only added at all in the knowledge that free implementations were becoming available. I recognise your distaste for including any non-free dependencies at all on Savannah, but I'd ask if you'd consider making Savannah's services available to help *remove* these non-free dependencies and produce a useful all-free tool.

(One justification that I can think of for allowing this: you do accept projects for which no code at all currently exists; in these cases, potential users will get nothing useful if they try to download the project. If you like, you can imagine that my project is one for which, although a large body of code already exists, the existing code is not yet functional. A user with only free software on their system will not get anything useful at this point, but the same is true of a project for which no code has yet been written...)

Thank you in advance for your consideration, and whatever decision you make, I will respect it. If the decision is "no", I'll still work on removing the dependencies, and I'd still like to host on Savannah once the removal is complete.

Thanks,
Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer