[Savannah-hackers] Re: Sabotage of AUCTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Sabotage of AUCTeX
Date: 15 Mar 2003 00:02:59 +0100

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> said:
>
> The answer is pretty simple. You were asked if you want your package
> to be hosted on GNU machines, say ftp.gnu.org.
>
> nongnu.org is already a GNU machine.
> It was designed to make a clear distinction between non-GNU and GNU
> packages.
>
> Keeping GNU packages on nongnu.org is clearly not an option, as it
> would create the confusion we tried to avoid at first.

But a redirection from an old website is _not_ confusing, for heaven's
sake.  One sees the new web site immediately announced in the
browser's title line, and bookmarks lead to the new page.  If you
really must, make it a page that just says something like

   AUCTeX has become a GNU project and its web site has moved to
   <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex>.  Don't dare tell anybody
   the old address.  You will not be redirected automatically so that
   you have full time to ponder the pomposity of requesting a web
   site from times where AUCTeX was not yet GNU.

But "permission denied?"  People will think that AUCTeX has died.  I
have enough of a problem recruiting developers without having
everybody hitting invalid pages.

> > _Please_ install the redirection from
> > <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> to
> > <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> again, and _please_ at least
> > tell me what information you will need for me to be able to access
> > ftp.gnu.org.
>
> address@hidden and address@hidden will handle this.
> (this issue does not depend on the Savannah server)

Fine.  I'll copy address@hidden, too.  Perhaps there will be
a time when I can make AUCTeX available to the public again.