Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - sa

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:33:35 -0400

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:36:38PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Kai Sterker <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: TYK - a language learning tool
> System name: tyk
> Type: non-GNU

> TYK (Teach Yourself Korean) is mainly written to aid me in learning a new
> language (korean, who'd have guessed!). However, being a follower of the free
> software movement, I'd like to share what I do with the community.
>
> In order for people to get the most benefit out of TYK, it will be written to
> support any foreign language. All data comes in XML format, so new lessons
> and exercises can be easily made (I personally will concentrate on korean,
> though).
>
> Gettext support should allow to localize lessons, so that one foreign
> language can be easily paired with different native languages. (i.e. german
> <-> korean, english <-> korean, etc ...).
>
> The backend of TYK will be written in C++, with portability in mind, so that
> it can run on any POSIX compliant system out of the box. The frontend is a
> different matter, as input of non-western characters is still a bit tricky.
> Planned are a GTK frontend, as that allows usage of the ami xinput server.
> But I'll also provide a Carbon gui to run TYK on OS X (I intend to use it on
> my iBook too). So Linux, FreeBSD and OS X would be covered. Other targets
> might require their own gui's, but I'll leave that to others, who'll
> hopefully jump aboard.
>
> A very, very prelimenary version is available at
>     http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/files/tyk.tar.gz
> (I hacked it together yesterday afternoon, so don't be scared!)

Before releasing your project under the GPL, please place
copyright notices and permission to copy statements at the beginning
of every file of source code.

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

This is wrong:

   Copyright (C) 2003 Kai Sterker <address@hidden>
   Part of the Teach Yourself Korean (TYK) program

   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify
   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY.

   See the COPYING file for more details.

It's truncated.

Please register your project once more with the changes
mentioned above.

We cannot track projects that have been answered but not approved, so
we must ask you to register the project whenever you change the
registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you need to reregister
only once.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement of your earlier
registration will direct you to the proper location.

Regards,

Rudy