[Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - savann

From: kai
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of TYK - a language learning tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:20:07 -0400

Kai Sterker <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: TYK - a language learning tool
System name: tyk
Type: non-GNU

[2. Attempt: All Headers replaced, COPYING included]

TYK (Teach Yourself Korean) is mainly written to aid me in learning a new
language (korean, who'd have guessed!). However, being a follower of the free
software movement, I'd like to share what I do with the community.

In order for people to get the most benefit out of TYK, it will be written to
support any foreign language. All data comes in XML format, so new lessons and
exercises can be easily made (I personally will concentrate on korean, though).

Gettext support should allow to localize lessons, so that one foreign language
can be easily paired with different native languages. (i.e. german <-> korean,
english <-> korean, etc ...).

The backend of TYK will be written in C++, with portability in mind, so that it
can run on any POSIX compliant system out of the box. The frontend is a
different matter, as input of non-western characters is still a bit tricky.
Planned are a GTK frontend, as that allows usage of the ami xinput server. But
I'll also provide a Carbon gui to run TYK on OS X (I intend to use it on my
iBook too). So Linux, FreeBSD and OS X would be covered. Other targets might
require their own gui's, but I'll leave that to others, who'll hopefully jump
aboard.

A very, very prelimenary version, that does not even compile right now, is
available at

    http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/files/tyk-0.1.tar.gz

Kai

Other Software Required: