Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [CoreTeam]Re: [support #102654] Abuse of the

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [CoreTeam]Re: [support #102654] Abuse of the BUG tracking system
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:23:27 +0000

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:24:20PM +0100, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Here's what I came up with.  It sounds a bit angry, so I have some
> doubts whether publishing it is really a good idea.
>
> """
> The DotGNU project welcomes contributions as well as criticism from
> everyone who is capable of discussing disagreements in a decent
> manner.  In case of conflicts, every conceivable attempt will be
> made to resolve the issue in a mutually acceptable way.  If someone
> abuses the project's communication infrastructure (irc channel,
> mailing list, bug tracker, etc) for purposes of harassment, the
> offender will get at least a dozen warnings and at least two "last
> chances" before the offender gets permanently "banned",
> i.e. disallowed from using the project's communication infrastructure.
> """

Hi,
I suggest you do not go into too many details but just write something
such as

"The DotGNU project will make its best efforts to resolve bugs
and reply to user's feedback, but we reserve the right to decide what
issues are considered the most important and need to be resolved
first"

you can then just ignore the troller's bug reports and either leave them
open forever or after some time close them for being trivialities which you
do not have the time to look at, or issues that have lost their
interest, etc., without any reference to authorship of the reports.

Trollers are usually looking for an opportunity to make a public
complaint on how they have been mistreated and to portrait themselves
as innocent victims; if you ban them, they will attain their
objective.

Regards,
Jaime