[Savannah-hackers] submission of Guile Standard Libraries - savannah.non

From: richardt
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Guile Standard Libraries - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:43:04 -0500

Richard Todd <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Guile Standard Libraries
System name: guile-library
Type: non-GNU

As discussed recently on address@hidden, I intend to create a project that
will:  1) aggregate, organize, document, and maintain existing stable guile
modules, and 2) write new guile modules to fill in gaps between what is
available for guile and what is available for similar languages.

I believe that the lack of a standardized library of similar scope to Python or
Perl's core is one of the main factors keeping guile from more use in the
field.  If ice-9 were going to serve this purpose, it probably would have by
now.

Oraganizing the code means making modifications so that the library has a
consistent naming convention.  Project members will be working with the
original authors where possible so there are no surprises.

The plan is to have only GPL'ed code in the project, and to minimize the amount
of C code as much as possible.  At some point it may become clear that this can
be a GNU project, but right now I'm skeptical because I want to aggregate
existing useful code from wherever I can find it, and getting the copyrights
assigned could be difficult-to-impossible.

I have just started working on this yesterday...the tiny bit of code so far can
be found at:
http://www.vzavenue.net/~rwtodd5128/guile-library-0.1.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
No non-free dependencies now, or planned.

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/