Re: [Savannah-hackers] New Project Question

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] New Project Question
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:00:12 +0200

Hello,

I am carbon-copying this to Hugo Gayosso who does some GNU evaluation.
I will answer the Savannah-related questions, while I will let him reply about the GNU-related questions:

* Savannah is not accepting new projects right now, but it may not be the case for dubbing packages 'GNU' (some GNU projects are not maintained at Savannah, though Savannah is the only way to update www. gnu.org package-related webpages).

* We unfortunately do not have an estimation on when we will accept new projects again. We were severely lacking volunteers, but some people just joined in. I do not think we will be able to approve new projects until a month, though.

* The FAQ should answer most of your questions on using Savannah. If you have any question, you can post a support request and we will be glad to answer and improve our documentation.

--
Sylvain

Marco Bresciani wrote:

>During the registration process, your will be asked whether you want

>your project to be evaluated so as to be part of the GNU project.

Ok.

>It is not required at all, and most of the projects hosted at
Savannah
>are non-GNU (as show the statistics box in the home page).

Yes, I've seen this.

>You can check this URL to know what it exactly means to become a GNU
>package:
>https://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=5802&question=What_does_it_mean_to_become_a_GNU_package.txt

Yes, I choose Savannah just because I'd like GNU philosphy and I'd
like my project to became a GNU one... :-)

>Incidentally, we cannot approve new projects right now because we are
>working on some internal changes at Savannah. If time is crucial for
>you, you may want to check gna.org, that offers the same kind of
>services.

Oh. So I cannot register a new GNU (or not GNU) project in this time.
Time is not crucial due to the fact that my project is something more than a hobby-one, even if I want to produce a nice and well-done thing.
Just another couple of questions:

 - I'd like to use the java language due to the fact that I do not
know enough the graphics libraries and I do not know how to use portable graphics libraries on different platform. The java 3D API I'm planning to use seems the best solution. Can my software becaome a GNU project even if I do not use C/C++ and the GNU coding standars? How can I manage this thing to let my project be as much as I can compatible with GNU codings and standards?

- are there some technical documentation on how to use savannah? I've never used such a service but I know (more or less) how to use CVS, SSH, GnuPG and the other things separately.

Thanks again,

Marco

PS: when do you plan to accept new projects?