Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:18:58 +0200

Yaroslav Klyukin wrote:
Rudy Gevaert wrote:

I would be still nicer if GNU software was marked as such in documentation or source.
Don't you think so?
This way everything is easy:
- Count all software packages on CD.
- Get the percentage of GNU software.
- If GNU software constitutes over 50% of the OS, then it has all rights to be mentioned in the name of the OS.

Does it make sense?

All GNU software maintainers are told to clearly mention they belong to GNU in their documentation.

eg:
$ grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

It is not always perfectly clear. CVS is part of the GNU project, but it is not perfectly clear, and not mentioned in the cederqvist.

Also, nothing counts as more than 50% of the OS.
But I guess GNU represents the principal contributors of the core of the OS, if not of the whole OS (glibc, gcc, grub, Posix commands, etc).

Anyway, the Linux kernel certainly is not the principal contribution in the OS.

Last, GNU is the only project whose aim is to make a complete operating system. It is also the only project whose aim is to make a completely free operating system, and thus its goals need to be heard.

--
Sylvain