Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvs update problem for emacs

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvs update problem for emacs
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:51:13 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 05:58:08PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
>>  I have a strange problem in cvs update.
>>
>>  I have two working directories for Emacs; HEAD and
>>  emacs-unicode-2 branch.  In the former working directory,
>>  cvs update works without problem.  But in the latter
>>  directory, cvs update just hangs.
[...]

> I am sorry but I cannot reproduce your problem. I tried to checkout,
> and then update emacs with branch emacs-unicode-2 both from Savannah
> and an external place, and, well, it worked.

> Maybe you could try again and provide me more information, like the
> directory in which the cvs process is stalling.

Thank you for the prompt reply.  CVS stalls on the top
directory.
% cd MY_WORKING_DIRECTORY
% cvs -t update
 -> main loop with CVSROOT=:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
 -> Starting server: ssh subversions.gnu.org -l handa cvs server
 -> Sending file `loaddefs.el' to server

Here, cvs stalls.

I found that cvs update works in src subdirectory as below.

% cd src
% cvs -t update
 -> main loop with CVSROOT=:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
 -> Starting server: ssh subversions.gnu.org -l handa cvs server
cvs update: Updating .
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src)
S-> Lock_Cleanup()
cvs update: Updating bitmaps
S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/bitmaps)
S-> Lock_Cleanup()
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
cvs update: Updating m
S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/m)
S-> Lock_Cleanup()
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
cvs update: Updating s
S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/s)
S-> Lock_Cleanup()
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
 -> Lock_Cleanup()

It seems that somthing is wrong with lisp/loaddefs.el.  I
tried this.

% cd ..  (change to top of working directory)
% rm lisp/loaddefs.el
% cvs update

It worked!  But, once I build Emacs by "make bootstrap" (in
that process, loaddefs.el is updated), cvs update stalls
again.  Very strange!

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden