Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvs update problem for emacs

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] cvs update problem for emacs
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:18:30 +0200

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:51:13PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 05:58:08PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> >>  I have a strange problem in cvs update.
> >>
> >>  I have two working directories for Emacs; HEAD and
> >>  emacs-unicode-2 branch.  In the former working directory,
> >>  cvs update works without problem.  But in the latter
> >>  directory, cvs update just hangs.
> [...]
>
> > I am sorry but I cannot reproduce your problem. I tried to checkout,
> > and then update emacs with branch emacs-unicode-2 both from Savannah
> > and an external place, and, well, it worked.
>
> > Maybe you could try again and provide me more information, like the
> > directory in which the cvs process is stalling.
>
> Thank you for the prompt reply.  CVS stalls on the top
> directory.
> % cd MY_WORKING_DIRECTORY
> % cvs -t update
>  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
>  -> Starting server: ssh subversions.gnu.org -l handa cvs server
>  -> Sending file `loaddefs.el' to server
>
> Here, cvs stalls.
>
> I found that cvs update works in src subdirectory as below.
>
> % cd src
> % cvs -t update
>  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
>  -> Starting server: ssh subversions.gnu.org -l handa cvs server
> cvs update: Updating .
> S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
> S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
> S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src)
> S-> Lock_Cleanup()
> cvs update: Updating bitmaps
> S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/bitmaps)
> S-> Lock_Cleanup()
> S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
> S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
> cvs update: Updating m
> S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/m)
> S-> Lock_Cleanup()
> S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
> S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
> cvs update: Updating s
> S-> Reader_Lock(/cvsroot/emacs/emacs/src/s)
> S-> Lock_Cleanup()
> S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
> S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)
>  -> Lock_Cleanup()
>
> It seems that somthing is wrong with lisp/loaddefs.el.  I
> tried this.
>
> % cd ..  (change to top of working directory)
> % rm lisp/loaddefs.el
> % cvs update
>
> It worked!  But, once I build Emacs by "make bootstrap" (in
> that process, loaddefs.el is updated), cvs update stalls
> again.  Very strange!

Hi,

>  -> Sending file `loaddefs.el' to server

means you apparently made changes to this file, and it is sent to the
CVS server so as to make a diff.

However, this file is nearly one megabyte. Maybe it is not stalling,
but just taking a long while to transfert the file?

Do you have a '-z' option in your .cvsrc? If not, could you try again using:
% cvs -z9 update
?

Thanks,

--