Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of japitools - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of japitools - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:36:21 -0400

Alaska Subedi wrote:

Thank you very much for your time :)

I don't think we can publish the .japi files generated from Sun's JDK
API. If you think it is leagal to publish, please tell us the reason
and you may put it.

I'm not a lawyer so my reasoning is more based on common sense than the law. I'm fully aware that the law may not follow common sense, so I defer to your judgement as to whether my argument would hold legal water.

Basically, my reasoning is that the japi file contains no information that isn't in the public domain. The format is specifically designed to cover only information necessary for compatibly implementing an API. My understanding is that public interfaces and APIs are not copyrightable, so the information in the japi file must logically be in the public domain also.

Originally, Japize was written using reflection, which would have led to an even stronger argument - "it's just printing the results of calling public APIs". That doesn't apply any longer - it actually does examine the binaries - so it comes down to whether the information that's actually extracted is copyrightable, and I believe it isn't.

Also, you cannot use 2000-2002 in copyright notice. Please check
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for
more information on this.

I'll read that URL and fix it.

Please address this issue and I will approve your project for
inclusion in Savannah.

Thanks!

Stuart.

--