[Savannah-help-public] Re: coreutils is moving to distributed version co

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Re: coreutils is moving to distributed version control
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:08:49 +0100

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:02:15PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> rsync write access is good, at least initially.
> >> Unless there's some other way for me to transfer the original
> >> .git repository, and potentially, to overwrite it with a new
> >> one as I experiment and (likely, as I learn) want to start fresh.
> >
> > After some thoughs, we cannot provide direct and complete rsync access
> > with our current security model which is: no local access (and not
> > custom hooks). Even CVS replication is made in such a way that CVSROOT
> > is not overwritten.
> >
> > I'd rather work on setting git up so it can suit your needs as well as
> > those of other users :)
> >
> > I need to implement a Savane interface to backup&reset any repository
> > on project admin's demand - if you can help work on this, that'd be
> > welcome =)
>
> I'm ready to mirror coreutils' git repository to savannah, now.
> Since coreutils-6.4, I'm using git, and mirroring all changes to cvs.
>
> If things are ready, what are the options and paths for push/pull?

Hi,

The git setup is still functional.

I put some updated notes at:
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git

Of course it is still pretty raw so we need to make it evolve
together.

Is this kind of access (git+ssh) enough for your mirroring purposes?

> Have you considered the software behind repo.or.cz?  It's free (GPL'd).

No I didn't, thanks for the useful link.

It does things in ways not very compatible with Savannah but we
definitely do the same job, as far as git is concerned.

I see that it uses a nifty naming convention:
/git/project.git
/git/project/other_repos.git

I think I'll adopt it :)

--