[Savannah-help-public] Unknown response received from cvs server

From: Michael . Brugnoni
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Unknown response received from cvs server
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:54:23 -0500

We are getting a very generic error when trying to checkout a specific folder in CVS.

failed due to an internal error (took 0:03.338)
   Error: Unknown response received from cvs server:
***

This directory contains a large number of files (~1700) but none of them are very large in size. Is there a limit on the number of files you can checkout in CVS? The error is extremely vague and we're not really sure where to start with this one. Tried setting timeout value in my CVS client to a high number with no success.

Thanks,
Mike