Re: [savannah-help-public] Unable to browse http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Unable to browse http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=grub
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:59:47 -0700

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> sending bug report as requested. When browsing above URL I get
>   Internal Server Error
>   The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
>   unable to complete your request.
> Tried just five minutes ago

Thanks for the report.  This has been a long term continuing problem.
Your reports help us keep track of how often it is causing problems.
Sending us a note any time you see those errors helps to prove the
weight of the problem.

Here is some background information.  The Savannah systems are virtual
machines.  For literally years we have had problems with resource
overload on the systems.  The vcs host in particular often gets
overloaded.  When that happens it just can't service all of the tasks
that it is asked to service.  When that happens it fails.

One of the failure modes is that the web service (also on vcs in this
case) gets enough cpu cycles to respond to you but while it is waiting
for the backend process (also on vcs in this case) to respond that
part times out.  When it times out the web process gives you the
errors you saw.

It has been an ongoing struggle for literally years to get the systems
improved.

Bob