[savannah-help-public] [sr #108725] Change name of project/group

From: Mats Wahlberg
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #108725] Change name of project/group
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 20:51:36 +0000

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the name on the web server, it is not really necessary to change it
as the project now got its own website (hosted by tuxfamily).

I understand your point about too short names, and I was concerned that it
would be an issue. Unfortunately I am unsure about a longer name. The name
"rcx" does have a longer (internal/unofficial) version, as the project
originally was known as "RollCageX" ("Rollcage" being the name of a series of
racing games it's aiming at replicating). Around the time I registered it on
savannah, I began changing the name to "ReCaged" to remove the reference to
proprietary software and to prevent trademark (and similar legal) troubles. I
guess it would be a longer alternative, but I suspect you will agree on both
concerns.

It was only recently I even considered changing the name again (after other
people involved with the project said they preferred the original name). After
talking about it on #fsf (irc) and mentioning "RCX" as an alternative to
"RollCageX," it seemed like the best idea. Although it's short, it's not
(except regarding a certain lego device) used for any software I know of and
also liked by others in the project, as we used to use it as a short version
of the old name years ago.

Please understand that I'm not writing this to demand that this name should be
accepted. I have much respect for savannah (and gnu, fsf) and completely
understand that you prefer longer names. I just wanted to write this reply
explaining my thoughts regarding the name since you took the time to reply to
my request. If you feel that it's not an acceptable name, I could still use
the current name on savannah (after all, http://recaged.net is still the
official url for now). Or I could migrate the git and download repos to
tuxfamily (where the project is listed as rcx).

Anyway, Have a nice day!
/Mats

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108725>

  Meddelandet skickades via/av Savannah