[Savannah-register-public] [task #3957] Submission of Perplex Library

From: Mike Melanson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #3957] Submission of Perplex Library
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 06:45:59 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7475>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  perplex

Full Name:
----------
  Perplex Library

Type:
-----
  non-GNU

License:
--------
  GNU Lesser General Public License

Other License:
--------------

------------
  The Perplex Library is an effort to create an independent cross-platform,
cross-application library for demultiplexing multimedia container formats
(e.g., AVI, ASF, MOV, MPEG).

Historically, there has been an enormous amount of duplicated effort between
various open source multimedia projects when it comes to demultiplexing
(demuxing) APIs. Perplexlib is an effort to pull together talent from
different multimedia projects to solve a common problem.

The goal for the project's first version is to provide a workable demuxing
API that can be adapted to many existing open source multimedia projects. The
second version will likely include modules to multiplex (mux) into container
formats as well.

The aformentioned paragraphs are the P.R. details. A few informal notes:

The project is in the rough prototype phase right now. This consists of an
API definition in a header file and some source files implementing the rough
API draft. So I have no code package to link to right now. I am in contact
with authors from various successful, free multimedia applications and we are
working hard to iron out a reasonable API that many projects will be able to
reuse (and we need a place to host the CVS and mailing list for improved
collaboration).

I noticed that one of the Savannah project stipulations is that dependencies
on non-free formats is prohibited. The passage specifically mentions Flash,
Real, and QuickTime. This is ironic since all 3 of those formats are "open"
and can be freely parsed. The controversy often comes when decoding the audio
and video codec formats inside the containers. That is outside the scope of
this project, which is only concered with the containers. In fact, Real and
QuickTime support are planned for the first version of this library. Flash
may be supported in later revisions.

Other Software Required:
  This library is to be written in straight C with as few external
dependencies as possible. This should be pretty straightforward as format
demuxing usually just involves parsing byte arrays and arranging them into
other byte arrays.

Other Comments:

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3957>