[Savannah-register-public] [task #5863] Submission of secure democracy

From: Stephan Peijnik
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5863] Submission of secure democracy
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:34:20 +0200

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi,

Most important thing first: sorry for the huge delay.

I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah. Whilst
evaluating your submission I've found a few problems. You can find detailed
descriptions of these problems below.

First of all, Savannah is a central point for development, distribution and
maintenance of GNU Software.

There is a companion site savannah.nongnu.org where we also host Free
Software projects that are not part of the GNU Project, but run on
free platforms.

However, we do not allow to host your project on Savannah and
SourceForge at the same time, if Savannah is just a project mirror.
Your project development should happen primarily on Savannah.

How do you plan to use your Savannah account?

Secondly, licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you
agree to license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be important for
all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3. If you don't put this in the
files now, the only way to port your program to GPL v3 would be to ask each
and every copyright holder, and that may be very difficult.

To address your concerns, one can for sure say that the GPLv3 is not an
attempt to make now free programs proprietary at all. After all, the GPLv3 is
created in a community-driven process, where everyone is not only allowed to
but welcome to comment on the license drafts. However, as the GPL itself
says: (quoting) "9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or
new
versions of the General Public License from time to time.  Such new
versions will be similar in spirit to the present version[...]". This can be
found in the license itself and this would probably also cause a non-copyleft
GPL-successor to be hard to enforce.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide us
with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we will
reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.

To help us better keep track of your registration, please use the tracker's
web interface following the link below. Do not reply directly, the
registration process is not driven by e-mail, and we will not receive such