[Savannah-register-public] [task #14997] Submission of GNU Mes

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14997] Submission of GNU Mes
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 13:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Ineiev!

> I've noticed some inconsistencies in your tarball, I'd love to resolve them
> before your package is registered on Savannah.

Ah, sorry!  Sure.  A first question: As you probably have seen, GNU Mes
has a git repository at http://gitlab.com/janneke/mes

This is probably something for after this review, just to mention I
would like to import that to Savannah and remove the copy at gitlab.

> These files lack copyright and license notices:
> .dir-locals.el
> tests/read.test
> README
> install.sh
> HACKING
> INSTALL
> AUTHORS
> scaffold/tests/91-goto-array.c
> build_aux/export.make
> build-aux/setup-mes.sh

Okay, I have added headres to these...

> (please check other copyrightable files as well, including images).

...and I also added headers to

82-define.c
90-goto-var.c

I got 90-goto-var.c and 91-goto-array.c from rain1 on #bootstrappable
freenode irc as an example of their requirements, I could do with them
whatever I wished.  I relicensed them as GPLV3+, if that's not OK I can
remove them.

> lib/alloca.c

This one is interesting; alloca.c was taken from binutils-2.10.1, and I
made modifications.  So, I added my (C) there with a notice

    /* alloca.c -- allocate automatically reclaimed memory
       (Mostly) portable public-domain implementation -- D A Gwyn

       Taken from GNU binutils 2.10.1.
       Minor changes
       Copyright © 2018 Jan (janneke) Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>

I realise that `public-domain' may not be good enough?

binutils' ChangeLog first mention of alloca.c says

    Thu Jun 25 04:43:22 1992  John Gilmore  (gnu at cygnus.com)

            * alloca.c:  Incorporate fixes from gdb/alloca.c.
            FIXME:  Eventually move gdb's alloca configuration files here,
            and remove gdb/alloca.c and its Makefile.in support.

My changelog says that I added this file because I needed it to
bootstrap gcc-3.4.  However, we now bootstrap gcc-2.95.3 and then move
on to gcc-4.7.4.  So, if it's really problematic I could try to find out
if we can drop it.  WDYT?

> module/mes/psyntax.pp

This is a generated file as it was generated by a patched Guile-1.8.
Guile also distributed it this way, I think that should be OK?

> module/srfi/srfi-16.scm says it's LGPLv2.1+, however, no
> LGPL text comes with it; I suggest that you either add the text
> of that license or relicense those files under the GPLv3+.

Ah, that's because it was taken from Guile-1.8; relicenced.  I did the
same for

srfi-1.scm
srfi-16.scm
srfi-26.scm
getopt-long.scm

> Somewhat worse with module/sxml/xpath.scm, module/mes/pmatch.scm:
> they are LGPLv3+.  The difference is: LGPLv2 permits relicensing
> under GPLv2+; the LGPLv3 only permits relicensing under the GPLv3; FSF
lawyers
> said me the LGPLv4 and later probably will permit relicensing under the
> corresponding version of the GPL,
> but technically one can't tell for sure.

Ouch, that's unfortunate and unexpected!  These also were taken from GNU
Guile...and Guile uses these to run Nyacc and we need them as well.  I'm
not sure what to do?  Would it be an idea to ask the Guile developers?

> The same with module/mes/peg/{cache,using-parses}.scm and some other files,
> but they are copyrighted by the FSF, so relicensing to future versions of
GPL
> is likely to be manual, but not problematic (of course, if you don't add
> modifications by other copyright holders).

I have removed PEG which postpones this part of the problem.  Changes
are up on

    the wip-gnu branch at:  http://gitlab.com/janneke/mes
    a preliminary tarball:  http://lilypond.org/janneke/mes-0.17-rc.tar.gz

Thanks!  Greetings,