Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against CU

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against CUDA library
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:57:14 +0900

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What if CUDA isn't a dependency per-se, but rather one of several
>> backends?
> Free software users mustn't be enticed to use proprietary software.
> If there are multiple backends, the best (or equal-best) backend must
> rely on free software.  If CUDA is a suboptimal (or equal-best)
> backend, that's ok. If CUDA is a better backend than a free software
> alternative, that's not ok.

I think I'd also want to know what future plans were -- for instance,
if the project originally used CUDA for historical reasons, but has
serious plans to move to OpenCL (which I guess is basically a standard
that can replace proprietary interfaces like CUDA, and will be
implemented by hardware with free drivers, e.g., from ATI), that seems
worthwhile to support.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.