[Savannah-users] Project Registration

From: ghaverla
Subject: [Savannah-users] Project Registration
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:32:52 -0700

I am missing something here, maybe it is because I have autism.

Your project registration page assumes my project is already finished.
In the spirit of divide and conquer, parts of it are finished, parts of
it are workable, parts of it I have ideas on and some code written, and
some I haven't started on.

I am working on something that is mostly written in Perl, and I may be
able to find dependencies that already exist in CPAN.  If a particular
module that might be useful has a license incompatible with the GPL,
I guess I would have to find an alternative or write it myself.

I can't say my dependencies ARE compatible with my project license,
because I have written them yet.  They WILL BE.  I haven't seen a
Makefile that is copyrighted, or a test program, or lots of other
things.  License headers on data files?

There are a number of parts of this that are useful for other
purposes.  For example: outliers in data are common in the kind of data
most people would use this for.  Most common methods of detecting
outliers, are only meant to detect 1 outlier, and are not intended to
be used recursively.  I have a method (and a module) which can detect up
to 9 outliers in up to 60 data points that is part of this, and is
useful all on its own.  As my project requires the data to be
recursively partitioned in a quadtree, at some point a partition will
fall below the 60 point maximum, and I can then look for up to 9
outliers.

Is it not useful to get these sub-parts into the world?  Or, do I have
to have 30+ (actually I am guessing 45) different projects, that are
all small parts of this project which I think people would be
interested in?  Some possibly enough interested to help?  :-)

Gord