Re: Binding left and right arrow keys

From: Peder Stray
Subject: Re: Binding left and right arrow keys
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:22:49 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Dave Wood wrote:

On (12:56 22/12/08), Peder Stray <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Dave Wood wrote:

Your codes don't seem to be working. How did you find the codes? Is there a lookup table somewhere on the www? I think control codes depend on the terminal in use.

i used cat, just started it, and pressed the key i wanted the code for, like this (after pressing C-left and C-right):

cat
^[[1;5D^[[1;5C

^[ is of cource \033.

When I do that it shows ^[[D and makes no difference if I am pressing control or not. This probably explains why it doesn't work for me. But, it must be reading control somewhere or C-a wouldn't work...

All Ctrl-A to Z are the single ascii characters from \001 and up, so they always come through, but all other combinations are usually some escape sequence. It's probably your terminal emulator that hasn't got any escape sequence for C-left or C-right then. Which termial do you use?

I'm using plain linux terminal (no X).

Yeah, seems it doesn't have special escape sequences for either control og shift + arrow keys. Not sure if you can define you own sequences there though.

--
  Peder Stray