Re: screen vertical split speed vs dvtm

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: screen vertical split speed vs dvtm
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 23:08:02 -0500

* Sadrul Habib Chowdhury had this to say on [07 Dec 2009, 15:53:02 -0500]:
> * A S had this to say on [05 Dec 2009, 19:41:53 +0100]:
> > Hi,
> > I do wonder why gnu screen is so slow in vertical split while dvtm
> > http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/ does not exhibit any visible
> > slowdown?
> > Is it because screen emulates vt100 only?
>
> It's because screen tries to refresh the display an aweful lot of time. I
> have a sort of a hacky fix for this at the moment. A nicer fix looks to
> be non-trivial. But I will try to get to it in a day or two. If I can't
> get to it, I will probably check in the sorta-hacky fix (do feel free to
> nudge me if I don't!)

I have checked in a fix for this (revision e8d36bf1) [1]. It'd be great
if you test it out and let me know if the performance is good. Also,
testing for possible regression would be great. Let me know if you (or
anyone else, please feel free!) see, or don't see, any problems with it!

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/