Re: [Simulavr-devel] eeprom support

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] eeprom support
Date: Mon Sep 30 20:19:03 2002

Hi Alberto,

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, eban wrote:

:) Hello everybody!,
:)
:) I'm trying to simulate a program that uses the
:) internal eeprom and a external eeprom.
:) At least I really need to use the internal eeprom.
:)
:) Simulavr has most of the work done to allow this, but
:) i don't think there's a way to load my binary eeprom
:) images yet.
:)
:) Is there a way to do this?

Yes.

:) How much work is needed?

Oh, about 45 minutes worth. ;-)

:) Is anybody working on this?

Not any more. I just checked it in to cvs.

The -e <file> option now works for binary files. You can generate the
eeprom binary image as such:

  $ avr-objdump -j .eeprom -O bin foo.elf > foo.bin

and then use "-e foo.bin" to get the file into eeprom.

:) What about the external eeprom?

Well, that's a bit more difficult.

I'm assuming you are talking about memory mapping and eeprom device into
the external sram space of the device. As far as I know, the AVR's don't
have built-in support for external eeprom.

Simulavr needs some serious work before could have this. :-\ It's on the
TODO list, but I'm a bit busy with some other stuff right now. Feel free
to dig into if you like. I'll help however I can.

Ted Roth