Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware

From: Bruce R'. Miller
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:52:36 -0800

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 21:23, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> Why would time need to be sent in either direction? In a real application,
> time is not shared unless you have multiple devices running off of a single
> crystal.

Theoretically true, but timing information is important if you want to
accurately simulate the hardware.  The real CPU will take a different path in
a differant timing situation.  In theory we should be making assumptions like
"this code will complete before that external interrupt fires" but that's the
way it happens when you don't have an operating system to run defence for
you.  The devices on the board make not share an actual clock signal but
there is an implicit shared clock due to the physical nature of the devices.

> Do you have an example of a case where the hook would need to pass clock
> info back?

In most interesting cases, I should think.  I have a digital pressure sensor
that takes a fair amount of time to respond once I poke it.

-b